Monday, January 18, 2016

New Year, New Ideas for Crazy Dog People!

You love your dog. Everyone knows because of the pictures all over your office, and your iphone cover. Are you giving your pup everything he could possibly want? Many of my clients contact me because they do love their dog, just not some of his behavior, and they are confused why Fido is acting up when he gets anything he wants. Here are a few ideas from your dog to keep them mentally happy and healthy!

Bob-a-lot is a great way to engage
your dog during meal times

  1. Puzzle toys. Sitting on the couch waiting for you to come home from work might be okay, but having something to do while you are gone would be even better. Dogs want to use their brains to settle those innate desires to scavenge and hunt. Giving them a bowl full of kibble, while satisfying, can be quite boring. Enrich your pups life a bit more by using a slow feeder like the Kyjen Slo-Bowl, or the Bob-a-lot Wobbler. When I leave the house my pups get a stuffed Kong to work on while I am gone. I think they appreciate some homework while I can’t entertain them.
  2. Good Health. Dogs don’t live long enough as it is, so help them make the best of the short life they have with us by making sure they get the Vet care and quality nutrition that they deserve.  I am a firm believer that a quality dog food is an investment in your dog’s overall health. We can survive on chips and ice cream, but is it a nutritious diet? Make sure your dogs food is a good quality as well.
  3. Safe space to retreat. I have worked very hard to make sure my dogs enjoy their crates. It makes my life easier, knowing they are not getting into anything in the house while I am gone, and it makes travelling with them much more comfortable and safer. Since I compete with my dogs as well, it makes sitting at events much nicer for them knowing they are not stressing out in their crates while we wait to play. Just like us, dogs need a place to go when they feel overwhelmed or scared. During the holidays, many people have guests over, which can be stressful for your four legged family members. Giving them a safe space to retreat allows them to make the decision to leave the chaos. 
  4. Consistency. Dogs thrive with routine and boundaries. Make sure you have ironed out the rules for your dog, and you stick to those rules. Allowing your dog to jump up on you when you get home, but not any other time, drives your pup batty! Most people have a fairly steady work schedule through the week, so make sure to incorporate walks and feeding times into that routine as well.
  5. Playtime. As my dogs get older, they don’t engage with me as often by bringing toys to me. Instead, I find myself engaging them to play. Playtime is great for muscle development and keeping your aging pup active. Most importantly, it helps build a bond between you and your pup. I like to throw some playtime into my training sessions as well, to break up the hard work for my dog as well as keep things fun. 
  6. Training. Yeah, I know I am a dog trainer, so obviously training is going to be on the list. Dogs enjoy working with us so why not let them. Basic training is the foundation of communication between you and your pup for a lifetime of interactions. Dogs that have solid understanding of basic commands are more confident living in our world and are much easier to live with. If you are finding yourself frustrated with some of your pups behaviors, go back to the basics! 

Owen hasn't quite figured out the tunnel but hes having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment